College Center » Financial Aid

Financial Aid

Financial Aid Information

FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). Regardless of which college, university, or technical school you plan to attend, the FAFSA is the form that you must fill out to determine your eligibility and apply for all federal grants, work-study, student loans & some need-based scholarships.


This form is used to determine the amount of money a family is expected to contribute to the price of attending a post-secondary institution. The results of the FAFSA are used in determining student grants, work study, and loan amounts.

Students must be a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident (have a green card) in order to submit a FAFSA. If your parent or legal guardian is undocumented, you are eligible to submit a FAFSA.

To apply for FAFSA or learn more click on the following link:

FAFSA & DREAM ACT helpful worksheets

At the very bottom of this page is a word document named "FAFSA & Dream Act workshop worksheets". This will let you know all the information you will need for either the FAFSA or the DREAM ACT APPLICATIONS. Please print the form you need and fill it out completely, this will make filling out the application much easier!!!



You and your parent should go to  and create your FAFSA ID today!  You must have a FAFSA ID and your parent must have ID so that you and your parent can e-sign the FAFSA for faster processing. If your parent or legal guardian is undocumented, he or she will not apply for a pin. Instead, you will print the FAFSA parent signature page, have your parent sign it, and mail it to the processing center. The address will be on that page.  

Go to and complete the FAFSA worksheet so that you have all necessary information when the FAFSA becomes available on October 1st.


Most high school students are dependent students. Your dependency status is determined through a series of questions on the FAFSA. If you are a ward of the court, a foster child, an orphan or if you are homeless you will be considered independent. In that case only you will need a pin. The Student Aid Commission considers that parents or legal guardian are responsible for their children’s education till the student’s 24th birthday. Till then you must used your parents’ income information when you complete the FAFSA each year that you are in college.

FAFSA Application submission window October 1st -March 2nd

Submit your FAFSA as soon as possible. It is available online on October 1st.

Do not wait to submit the FAFSA until after you or your parents have filed your federal tax return. Instead, submit your FAFSA on time using estimated income figures, based on the previous year’s income tax forms or on your parents W2 forms. After your parents file their taxes you can go back into your submitted FAFSA and make corrections if necessary and resubmit.

If you do not have internet at home you can complete your FAFSA in the College Office or in the Library.

If you are unable to complete the FAFSA online call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1.800.4-FED-AID to have a paper FAFSA mailed to you.

If you submit a paper FAFSA, get a Certificate of Mailing from the post office as proof you met the deadline.

FAFSA Deadlines

To apply for most financial aid, you must submit the FAFSA between October 1st  and March 2nd.

Some colleges have early deadlines. Check the financial aid deadlines for each college to which you are applying. 

Remember: You must renew or resubmit your FAFSA each year that you are in college. So don’t forget your FAFSA ID number, user name, and password!

CSS/ Financial Aid Profile for private colleges

Many private colleges and universities such as USC, Stanford, Occidental College and many others require that students and their parents file a CSS/Profile in addition to the FAFSA. Please check the financial aid documents you must submit and the deadlines for each college to which you apply. Go

Students with visas:

If you have a visa that is not permanent resident you MUST check with the college’s financial aid office to see if you qualify to apply for financial aid with the FAFSA.  Do not submit a FAFSA without confirming that your visa qualifies you for federal aid.

AB540 Students:

If you, the student, are undocumented, you will NOT submit a FAFSA, but you should submit the California Dream Act application form if you qualify as an AB540 student; for more information click on the AB540 tab.

Go to and complete this form between January 1 and March 2 of your senior year.

Cal Grant

LAUSD will electronically submit the Cal Grant GPA verification to the California Student Aid Commission for all seniors enrolled in an LAUSD high school in December of your 12th grade.

The student only needs to submit the FAFSA or the California Dream Act application BEFORE March 2ND .

In order to be considered for a Cal Grant. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that both their FAFSA and their Cal Grant GPA are submitted by the March 2.

Go to: for more information on Cal Grants


If you qualify for and are awarded a Cal Grant, you must go to  to view and confirm your award.

After you graduate you must verify that you graduated on this same web site before your Cal Grant can be released to you. Don’t forget! You could lose a lot of money because you forgot to verify that you graduated.

For information about GRANTS:

Federal Pell Grant: go to:

Federal TEACH Grants:

California Chafee Grant for Foster Youth go to:

Students with disabilities go to:

Military and their dependents go to:

Much of the information on this page was taken form published materials from the California Student Aid Commission and the EdFund. For more information go to  or 

For Scholarship information

 Go to the “Scholarships page” of this website to find links of a variety of scholarships.